Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Where Oh Where Have I Been?

Have you been wondering? Probably not and that is alright. I've just been busy. I told myself when I restarted this blog that I was going to be here faithfully every day, never miss it, blah blah blah. Anyway, obviously that all went out the window. My husband has been gone doing some navy training thing in Norfolk. Last weekend he came home for a 72 hour leave so we pretty much just hung out together with the kids. He's gone again for another 3 weeks. Gotta love the navy.

We are rapidly approaching the first day of school. The day every parent dreams about from the day after the last day of school. It's no longer the sad occasion it once was. Leaving them on the first day of kindergarten or even first grade with tears in your eyes as you realize your baby is growing up. Now...You long for the day the school bus comes and whisks your precious child away for 8 beautiful hours. You get up early, you make a lunch and lovingly pack it into the new lunchbox, you check the backpack, you feed them, then you open the door and watch as they walk to the bus stop. Once the bus is out of sight you call up all of your mommy friends and the party begins. The first day of school celebration where you all do the happy dance!

It is at this time of year that I don't mind shopping. New clothes, new shoes, new school supplies. All in anticipation of the wonderful sight of the big yellow school bus. Please don't get me wrong, I adore my children. I would give my life to save the life of my children, However, Summer vacation is so long lol. "I'm bored, there's nothing to do, there's no one to play with" It doesn't take long before the sound of my school age child's voice starts to sound like fingernails on a chalkboard lol. Now, I am a patient mom, a creative mom, even a fun mom but like any mom those words echo in your head and never seem to go away. Over and over you hear them. In your sleep you hear them. In just a few short weeks...sweet relief.

I should write a poem. "ode to the first day of school" Pretty sure it would make me famous.

2 comments:

Saimi said...

HA! You crack me up!

It's really an eye opener on how scheduled our kids are during the school year. It's not like the old days where you knew what to do outside. It's no wonder they get so bored, they are so used to someone providing the entertainment whether it be lessons, sports practice, or just school in general that the basic instinct of just being a kid has been extracted right out of them.

When we were growing up, it was up to us to figure out what we were going to do. We didn't have all the practices to attend or a computer to play on or video games. And our mom didn't cater to our every whim. She would just tell us to go out and play! So we did.

I'm glad you'll have some peace now and that screeching chalk board sound will be gone! Relax and put your feet up!

As for me, I'll be back in school..Preschool!

Boom said...

Hi! Stopped by to visit on "Never grow up Friday". I agree. If we complained about being bored, Mom would suggest summer school. I could stay outside and play until after dark to avoid that plan.